Overview

This blog is intended to document the build of my Gardner Douglas Mk4 Cobra; partly as IVA evidence, bit primarily to help others learn from my mistakes and/or successes.

I will endeavour to post as often as possible, with a view to entering a single post for a particular element of the build process, however inevitably some things may not be completed in one go. All posts will be tagged so it should be easy enough to find the information you seek.

Please subscribe to receive emailed updates and feel free to post any comments or questions which I will make my best efforts to respond to.

Friday, 8 April 2016

Underseal

Before I could install the front wiring loom I needed to underseal the front wheel arches and nose cone. I bought Hammerite Underbody Seal from Halfords (I have a trade card :-D) and dug out an old paint brush.

Every edge was masked off to avoid having to clean it off afterwards, this took ages but preperation time is seldom wasted. When I opened the tin I thought I must have a duff batch as it was stiff, I expected it to be like a thick paint that would set hard. It turns out, it's supposed to be the consistency of a paste.

The instructions say to apply with a brush up to 2mm thick however I applied it thinner and will go back for a second coat, hopefully this will give me a better finish. It's quite hard work due to the thickness and working mostly upside down but the front wheel arches and nose cone have been done and the rear arches have been masked off ready. If I have enough left after that I may do the rear axle tunnel too.

I also bought a spray can of Hammerite Stone Chip Shield which I used for the lower sills.

Pretty thick stuff

I went through quite a bit of masking tape

Offside wheel arch after first coat

Nose cone after first coat

Sills sprayed with two coats 

No comments:

Post a comment