This blog is intended to document the build of my Gardner Douglas Mk4 Cobra; partly as IVA evidence, bit primarily to help others learn from my mistakes and/or successes.

I will endeavour to post as often as possible, with a view to entering a single post for a particular element of the build process, however inevitably some things may not be completed in one go. All posts will be tagged so it should be easy enough to find the information you seek.

Please subscribe to receive emailed updates and feel free to post any comments or questions which I will make my best efforts to respond to.

Saturday, 19 September 2015

Colour choices

So, I have decided on the kit and have booked a visit to the GD factory next weekend to meet the team and place my order.  Due to funding, I have chosen to carry out the build body first as it's the cheapest 'big bit' to get started. The GD manufacturing process produces extremely high quality finished gel coats which can be polished up to a high shine which can save £2-3k on painting.

This does mean that I have to make a big decision prior to ordering and have to choose from any solid RAL colour.  I have trawled Google images for inspiration and found a lot of blue with white/silver stripes, grey with silver stripes, black with white stripes and red with white stripes.  These colours seem to have been done to death; and as I'm not intending to build a classic replica, I decided to keep it understated and chose ORANGE with GREY stripes!

Looking at RAL colours on line is pointless as every colour looks different depending what website and screen you are viewing it on.  I bought a RAL colour fan chart, picked my favourite colours and got B&Q to colour match some sample pots.  I then painted some scraps of plywood with the two chosen oranges (RAL2001 & RAL2010) to see what these colours would look like on a bigger scale.  It sounds daft but it does make a difference seeing it in big rather than a small swatch of colour.

RAL2010 (signal orange) appeared too light so decided on RAL2001 (red orange).  I the painted some stripes in 6 different greys on the orange for comparison and finally chose RAL7022 (umbra grey).  Below is how they look together on ply wood, only time will tell how they will look on the car.

After speaking with Andy from GD, I asked whether the stripes could be made in carbon fibre rather than grey and was delighted to hear that; although "tricky", it was not impossible. 

I have recently received a sample panel which shows the orange and carbon together (see attached photo) which I rather like, the black is there for reference.  The carbin in the sample is casually laid and will be at 45°for maximum  visual impact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment